Friends of History Are Hitting the Road!
Join us on September 28, 2022 for a behind the scenes tour of the
We will explore the lives and careers of two renowned founding members of the Taos Society of Artists, Eanger Irving Couse and Joseph Henry Sharp. The site includes the home and studio of E.I. Couse, two studios used by J.H. Sharp, the garden designed by Couse’s wife Virginia, and the workshop of the Couses’ son, inventor Kibbey Couse.
The Couse home and studio remain almost exactly as E.I. Couse left them at the time of his passing in 1936, including furnishings, collections of Native American pottery and artifacts, and original paintings from various periods of the artist’s career.
J.H. Sharp’s first Taos studio was a family chapel built by Juan de Luna about 1835. The Luna Chapel now
hosts the Couse-Sharp Foundation’s changing exhibits. In 1915 Sharp built a larger studio which now contains a permanent exhibit dedicated to the life and work of the artist.
Our day-long excursion includes:
– Coach transportation with Santa Fe Valet
– Coffee and pastries on arrival at the Couse-Sharp site
– A presentation by Davison Koenig, Executive Director of the Couse -Sharp Historic Site, “Collective Impact of the Taos Society of Artists,” followed by a question-and-answer session.
– Lunch in Virginia Couse’s garden
– Behind the scenes tour of the Couse home and the Couse and Sharp studios
– Behind the scenes tour of the recently opened Lunder Research Center dedicated to study of the Taos Society of Artists
The bus departs Santa Fe promptly at 8:00 AM (boarding location to be announced) and returns by 5:00 PM.
Trip fees are $175 per person for Friends of History members and $200 for non-members. Tickets are available here on our website, below. The trip is limited to 30 participants. Email [email protected] with questions.
To become a Friends of History member, visit our donation page: https://friendsofhistorynm.org/donate/
For more information about the Couse-Sharp Historic Site visit their website: http://couse-sharp.org.